Tuesday, May 5, 2009

...Alvin Ailey....

Today was amazing. i was honored with the opportunity to go and see a Alvin Ailey dance show. Ailey Dance Theater has been around for about 50yrs. i remember studying about Alvin Ailey last year and i found out that he died from aids, which sadden me because he was such a passionate and devoted dancer.
in the beginning of this year i was blessed with the choice of dancing with the A.A. crew, but because of my laziness i never got to it. watching the dancers tonight made me regret my decision. i loved the way that they made the art speak to the audience. {or was it just me, because I'm a dancer, so i could see from a dancers view}
i don't know but the pieces really amazed me(I'm surprised i didn't cry)
from the unity piece, to the love piece. even the outfits that they chose to wear, and the music and background that they picked. it just made everything come together for me,and all i could do was look in aw and wish that it was me on that stage that everyone was memorized over.
it wasn't only my first time going to a Alvin Ailey show, but also my first time being at the Apollo. It was so exciting to know that i was looking at the stage that some of the most remarkable artist performed.
this will be a day that i write about in my journal tonight before i go to sleep, and keep locked away in my memory to share with my kids and anyone else that's willing to listen...:)

1 comment:

td said...

this is such a special post. i agree that it was an amazing night...was my first time inside the Apollo and seeing AA too! i still can't figure out how to talk about those dances...just know that they were unbelievable, incredible.